Re: FUBARed my install, wont boot :(

In article <[🔎] c0as64$4k5$1@sea.gmane.org>, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Kent West (<westk@acu.edu>) wrote:
>
>> I suspect you need to add the line
>>   initrd=/initrd.img
>> to /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo. (I would think you could get in by
>> feeding the initrd parameter to the bootup process, but you may need
>> to get in first to figure out what parameter syntax to use.)
>
> Can passing an initrd parameter to the /kernel/ work? If the kernel does
> not have support for the root or boot file system compiled in, and the
> initrd is located on the root or boot partition, how can the kernel
> access the initrd on its own? If I understand this concept correctly,
> then the bootloader must know about the initrd. Does anyone know
> details on whether this can work with lilo or grub?

>From the GRUB info file (see point 3):

  1. Set GRUB's root device to the same drive as GNU/Linux's. Probably
     the command `find /vmlinuz' or similar can help you (*note find::).

  2. Load the kernel:

          grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

     If you need to specify some kernel parameters, just append them to
     the command. For example, to set `vga' to `ext', do this:

          grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=ext

     See the documentation in the Linux source tree for the complete
     information on the available options.

  3. If you use an initrd, execute the command `initrd' (*note
     initrd::) after `kernel':

          grub> initrd /initrd

  4. Finally, run the command `boot' (*note boot::).

So, GRUB loads the initrd in memory. the initrd node of the GRUB info
file notes:

initrd
------

 - Command: initrd file ...
     Load an initial ramdisk for a Linux format boot image and set the
     appropriate parameters in the Linux setup area in memory. See also
     *Note GNU/Linux::.

joostje