Re: (un)mounting smb shares

on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:18:32PM +0100, Joerg Johannes (liste_joerg@gmx.de) wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> At our university, I can mount a smb directory at our computing centre
> by giving my username and password. I have in my /etc/fstab:
>
> //myusername.files.uni-freiburg.de/windows     /home/jorg/files
> smb     username=myusername,user,noauto,rw     0    0
>
> When I type "mount files/" in my home directory, I am asked to give my
> password, and then I can read/write to the network dir without problems.
> The problem comes when I want to umount the directory:
>
> umount files/
> umount: only root can unmount //myusername.files.uni-freiburg.de/windows
> from /home/jorg/files
>
> Can anybody tell my why, and how to fix it? I'd like to umount this dir
> as normal user.

Consider using autofs to automatically mount and umount the shares on
demand.

Set a short timeout -- a few seconds (2-3) isn't too short -- to allow
you to quickly free resources and keep you from waiting for mount
time-outs.  One limitation of legacy MS Windows is to allow only a
limited number of clients access to a fileserver (IIRC, 10).  Each
GNU/Linux mount counts as a user instance.

Peace.