Re: Debian, Knoppix, and other varients

Hi,
* Krikket wrote on 09.02.2004 (01:10):
> it has out-performed the other Linuxes in one way or another.  (My problem
> with the standard Debian install is with configuring the kernel.  At this
> point, I just don't get it.  I need to learn a lot more before I can do
> that part on my own.)  The rest of it, no problem.  I *did* do a Gentoo

My first start is always the default kernel, before I begin
to make my own. I do have rather standard hardware, no
unusual SCSI nor have I many USB stuff that needs to be
running. So this part was easy.

> What took me by surprise, when I started poking around with Knoppix is
> that it uses a number of different branches off the tree.  To get gnome
> running, I had to use *experimental*.  But it is running, and without a
> problem.  (Although not enough time has passed for me to determine how
> truly stable it is.  Only a few days so far.)

Gnome seems not to be the Knoppix generators big love. There
is an alternative with Gnome as default called Gnoppix. But
probably that discussion fits better in a Knoppix list/forum
(www.knoppix.net/forum). A version with KDE 3.2 seems to hit
the road in a computer paper (c't) here in Germany. It's
Knoppix 3.4 c't Edition.

> Lindows has horrible defaults.  (Everything is run as root.)

Why a Linux that mimics Windows. I consider the original
rather than the clone - that is for Linux and Windows.

> LibraNet looks good, but I don't want to pony up some cash until I know
> which branch it's based on.  Similar difficulties with Mepis and Xandros.
>
> What am I looking for in my OS?  Ease of use, and then stability.  I can
> deal with some unstability on my desktop, but it's less acceptable on my
> server.  So the equations are probably reversed for the server.

The newer ones run on Debian. I like the installation,
which is quite fast. It's never the bleeding edge, but
reliable software in the stable branch.

In the past I had some servers running on SuSE. I switched
because the standard distribution tends to be bleeding edge
for desktop, and I don't have a budget for their enterprise
servers.

So I find it difficult to recommend a distribution.
Currently I like Debian, and an actual Version of SuSE is
pretty cool for having a rich featured desktop system.

I hope this view helps a bit,

-sa

--
sa at programmers-world dot com http://www.livingit.de; Uhrzeit: 10:25