Re: Debian, Knoppix, and other varients

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 01:10:33 -0500 (EST)
Krikket <krikket@gothpoodle.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to the world of Debian, and it's varients.  To get to the
> point where I'm at, I've been playing around and installed a number of
> distributions.  (SuSE, Fedora Core 1, Red Hat 9, Debian, Knoppix, Gentoo,
> Mandrake, FreeBSD, and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting.)
> I've been using Unix derivitives since 1988 or so, although usually as a
> user, not as an admin.
>
> This recent thread on Knoppix took me by surprise.  From my point of view,
> it has out-performed the other Linuxes in one way or another.  (My problem
> with the standard Debian install is with configuring the kernel.  At this
> point, I just don't get it.  I need to learn a lot more before I can do
> that part on my own.)  The rest of it, no problem.  I *did* do a Gentoo
> install, including the bootstrap process.  I just cheated with the kernel,
> and used the "genkernel" feature.  Please note, that this does not mean
> that I'm "stupid user", but rather that I'm still learning.
>
> Besides, I don't see why I should have to go through hell just to get a
> system running.  I want something that's simple to use.  Enough so, that I
> can have confidence in reccomending it to my friends.  (In this case,
> coworkers who are also in the technical-support department of my company.)
> We want something that just works.  We have a technical clue, but don't
> feel that you should be required to be a "real programmer" to install an
> OS.  (See the Jargon file, if needed.)
>
> What took me by surprise, when I started poking around with Knoppix is
> that it uses a number of different branches off the tree.  To get gnome
> running, I had to use *experimental*.  But it is running, and without a
> problem.  (Although not enough time has passed for me to determine how
> truly stable it is.  Only a few days so far.)
>
> But as there are some pretty strong opinions on this subject.  So I figure
> rather than just listen to people shit-can/defend my recent choice, I'd
> ask for some input from those who have been slamming Knoppix.
>
> What would you suggest as an alternative?  I've heard calls for Morphix,
> but that's a derivitive of Knoppix.
>
> Lindows has horrible defaults.  (Everything is run as root.)
>
> LibraNet looks good, but I don't want to pony up some cash until I know
> which branch it's based on.  Similar difficulties with Mepis and Xandros.
>
> What am I looking for in my OS?  Ease of use, and then stability.  I can
> deal with some unstability on my desktop, but it's less acceptable on my
> server.  So the equations are probably reversed for the server.
>
> So, if we take it as a given that Knoppix is so evil, what do people
> reccomend?
>
> Krikket

You're absolutely right. It was Knoppix that brought me the confidence to run Debian. I had, of course, tried Debian before (I think it was potato). but every attempt gave some dissatisfaction. It was Debian that re-ignited everything. A couple of days ago a message was posted to the list stating that since 6 months or so, Debian is the fastest growing OS. HOW ? Think of it Marc Wilson instead of exaggerating philosophy (you really talk too much), try applying a little of your mind without the use of your tounge.

rrs
- --
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT (www.researchut.com)
Happy GNU/Linux user since 1998
- ------
Hear about...
	the cross-eyed shoe fetishist who was always getting off on the
	wrong foot?