Re: Debian, Knoppix, and other varients

On 2004-02-09, Andreas Janssen penned:

[snip]

> I think discover can also run at boot time and load the drivers for
> you.

I just set up linux from scratch on a machine using the netinstall CD ,
and it gave me the option to do this.  Sound, network, etc were all
there without me having to figure out which modules I needed and without
me having to touch /etc/modules.  Of course, if you're going to
recompile the kernel, you'll still need to know which modules to
include.

I did have to fiddle with X to get it working.  I guess that's one place
that has room for improvement.  I've never had a linux installation
where I didn't end up tweaking the X config by hand, but for someone
who's not experienced with doing that, fiddling with it can be pretty
scary.  I seem to remember that in the olden days, the config used to
warn you that basically anything you did could blow up your monitor --
don't recall if the newer stuff still does that.  Xvidtune does.  That
kind of stuff definitely makes people hesitant to experiment with their
configuration.  It's one thing to have to reinstall; another to buy a
new monitor.

[snip to end]

--
monique