Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:58:48 -0500
Adam Aube <aaube01@baker.edu> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 February 2004 03:19 pm, Sneferu wrote:
> > I'd say that the solutions to all this problems is mepis.org ;-)
>
> Agreed - MEPIS is the Linux distro I would recommend to a newbie.
>
> In a "Spawn of Debian" faceoff, it beat Lindows, Xandros, and
> Libranet.
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/2334247

Hello Adam,

Yes, I read that article. I'm afraid that I don't place much credence in
the reviewers' assessment ability. From what little I remember he didn't
spend much time familiarising himself with Libranet 2.8.1 before
propounding with great wisdom.

He dwelt on items like the unsophisticated GUI presentation of cfdisk,
the partitioning programme, as though a utility programme like that
requires the sort of interface that would compete with the eye-clash
bubblegum of XP.
He finished by stating that Libranet was totally unsuitable for a
newbie.
I was a newbie when I started with Libranet 2. I still am, with a
modified 2.8.1 (stable and sarge) that runs some sid and a sprinkle of
experimental, and cfdisk taught me about primary and logical
partitioning.

I have friends that have extolled the virtues of Mepis, and not having
tried it, I am in no position to judge, but as a distro that introduces
the newbie to aspects like partitioning, installation (incorporating
familiarisation with your hardware), and finishing up with a stable,
secure and very comprehensive system, I think that Libranet would be
very hard to beat.
Regards,

David.