Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

Hello

Bijan Soleymani (<bijan@psq.com>) wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 08:44:28AM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> Feh.  While it may well work for you, who has clue, anyone who
>> suggests to a cluebie that using Knoppix is a way to get Debian
>> should be shot.
>
> Well a lot of new users like Knoppix and would like to have it on
> the hard disk. Is it ok for them to use it, or will the secret police
> come and shoot them for not using pure Debian instead too.

Using Knoppix on the hard disk means no security updates, a system only
upgradable to unstable, and a lot of possible problems for beginners.
There are other Debian based distributions that are easy to install,
have support by the distributor and are a much better choice for hard
disk installations. No one will be shot for using Knoppix on his hard
disk, but it is not the best idea to recommend it to newbies. I think
there are better Debian based distributions for them. And let's not
forget about distros like Mandrake and SuSE, that offer a lot more than
Knoppix, and are also easy to install and use.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen