Re: [OT] Taking notes

Jonathan Matthews wrote:
>Fairly OT for d-u, but I'm wondering what people use to take notes for
>courses.
>
>I'm studying T171 with the Open University (it's a compulsory course on
>the way to their BSc in PeeCees), and a lot of the assessment is
>writing up what you thought about various resources (websites, reports,
>etc) that they throw at you.  The important thing is the note-taking
>and subsequent writing up - /not/ the opinions you actually express in
>the notes.
>
>So - I'm looking for packages which let me keep a structured record of
>what I was looking at, where it was, when I looked, and what my
>thoughts were.  I've found hnb, but that's about it.
>
>Any suggestions?  Would a custom (v.v.v.v. simple) DTD be an idea?
>What emacs packages let me input the notes into a valid XML file
>adhering to my simple DTD in a pointy-clicky sort of way?  Is this not
>the way forward?

Try Emacs-wiki. In one (text) file you begin writing your assessments'
resources, and then write a (say) LinkedOpinions node linked to each one
of them (as easy to write the capitalized words before, and press enter
on it). You can obviously link anything to anything, provided it is on
your Wiki or has an associated URL.

IMHO, it's a better solution than a DTD or other hierarchic structure,
due to the flexibility "wiki style editing" gives you.

And if you want to structure it in some way to be able to post-process
lists, items and other stuff on you notes, you could use some tags (like
[IMPORTANT], [CONCLUSION], etc.) to look for them with grep or other
standard tools.

HTH,

--
Cristian Gutierrez			http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

"UNIX is like a Vorlon.  It is incredibly powerful, gives terse,
cryptic answers and has alot of things going on in the background."