Re: apt.debian.org server to compute dist-upgrade needs

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 07:53:13 +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> [Say] we can't do apt-get dist-upgrade over our puny modem.  We must go to
> town to burn the files onto a CDROM and take them back to install it.
>
> Sure, we could do apt-get dist-upgrade --print-uris, or use apt-zip, but
> that creates a list that gets stale in the few days it takes us to get to
> town... we'll miss the latest upgrades.
>
> Therefore there should be an "apt.debian.org" web server to compute what
> we need on the spot.  One would give it various detail about our machine,
> and a sources.list and e.g. dpkg --get-selections output... all of which
> we have taken to town.  It would spit out a fetch list of URIs.
>
> OK, I suppose 99% of people are better connected than my scenario, and
> perhaps this is only applicable to the third world.

I have been using debian for a number of years.  I have done several
installations from scratch as I have built new machines.  I have done
*all* installs over a 56K modem.  I am currently running sarge.  I keep my
system up to date by running apt-get (usually dist-upgrade) on a daily
basis.

Apart from a couple of overnight marathons to get first the base system
and then X installed, I usually see much less than 10MB of upgrades at any
one time.  In other words, rarely does a dist-upgrade take even 30 mins,
unless something big (like OpenOffice) is upgraded.

Unless you have a broken modem, or a noisy telephone line which results in
very low negotiated connection speeds, it's really not a very big deal to
keep a system up to date (or even do an install from scratch) over a
standard dial up connection.  The key is to run daily upgrades.

I suppose that keeping a sid installation up to date would be more time
consuming, though.

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual