Re: Disk duplicate] - 2nd

hiya pete

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 peteredhair@netscape.net wrote:

> I have a Debian box running which needs to have a fast recovery timing.
>
> I've got spare hardware to replace it however i also need to have an offline duplicate of it's contents in order to be abble to replace the disk and boot, puting the system to work again in a very short time.
>
> I thought about using PowerQuest Drive image, which the company has bought, however it doesn't copy ext2fs file systems.
>
> Can i do it using any linux tools ?

add the "spare disk" to the pc or to another pc ...
if the "primary cannot go offline"

root# fdisk  or cfdisk the "spare disk"

#
# clone.simple.sh
# ----------------
#
primary# mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt/spare
primary# mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt/spare/tmp
primary# mount /dev/hdc3 /mnt/spare/var
primary# mount /dev/hdc5 /mnt/spare/usr
primary# mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/spare/opt

primary# mkdir /mnt/spare/{tmp,var,usr,opt,Backup,YourJunk,MoreofYourJunk}
primary# chmod 1777 /mnt/spare/tmp

DIR="/root /bin /dev /etc /home /lib /sbin"

primary# tar cf - $DIR | ( cd /mnt/spare     ; tar xvfp - )
primary# tar cf - /var | ( cd /mnt/spare/var ; tar xvfp - )
primary# tar cf - /usr | ( cd /mnt/spare/usr ; tar xvfp - )
primary# tar cf - /opt | ( cd /mnt/spare/opt ; tar xvfp - )
#
# end clone.simple.sh

to regularly update your clone... just use
	find -mtime -days | tar
	or run apt-get update, upgrade but your spare box would
	be a live box during its update which WILL NOT
	be a clone of your "primary" since /home is NOT
	yet copied over and any /etc tweeks

figure out if your "hot spare will be "hda or hdc"
and adjust grub/lilo accordingly so it boots in a machine
where that is the only disk to replace "primary's disk"
- or use dd to copy the first 448 of the boot record to hdc
	dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=448 count=1 of=/dev/hdc1

or you can fiddle with other people's apps that might work
or might not work that your company bought ??
	- partimage
	- ghost
	- hardware diskduplicator

	- wont work since primary has to go down to use it

c ya
alvin

----- End forwarded message -----