Re: exim HELO=fully qualified host name?

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:26:10PM -0500, David Clymer wrote:
| On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 12:11, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

| > > You need to set exim's primary_hostname to your FQDN (or the
| > > equivilant configuration variable for your choice of MTA).
| >
| > I believe that exim will, by default, report the first entry in your
| > /etc/hosts file.  So if you have
| >
| > 155.22.33.44	booger yoda www.sticky.net
| >
| > I believe exim will report the machine as booger.
| >
| > Just move the FQDN into the first slot and you should be fine.
| >
| > My understanding is that exim's primary_hostname setting is considered a
| > kludge and that it's "better" to use the above method.

Basically correct.

| I learn something new every day, it seems. I suppose I should modify my
| own server, if thats the case. Could you expound apon the "kludge-ness"
| of primary_hostname?

primary_hostname only affects exim.  Nothing else on your system will
know about that setting, in exim's config file.  By default exim uses
the gethostbyaddr() system call to ask the system what the host name
is.  glibc uses the hosts file, if an appropriate entry is available
and the nssswitch.conf file tells it to look there, to determine what
the machine's full name is.

You can test the system's idea of your host name either by running the
'hostname' command or using this snippet of python code :
    python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())[0]"

In short, it is best to have the system correctly know what its name
is than to explicitly tell exim what it is.

-D

--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world