Re: exim HELO=fully qualified host name?

On 2004-02-06, David Clymer penned:
> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 09:07, davis wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I can not subscribe to the pcmcia-cs mailing list on source forge
>> because my helo only gives my host name and not my fully qualified
>> hostname.  How do I resolve this problem?
>>
>> JD
>>

> You need to set exim's primary_hostname to your FQDN (or the
> equivilant configuration variable for your choice of MTA).

I believe that exim will, by default, report the first entry in your
/etc/hosts file.  So if you have

155.22.33.44	booger yoda www.sticky.net

I believe exim will report the machine as booger.

Just move the FQDN into the first slot and you should be fine.

My understanding is that exim's primary_hostname setting is considered a
kludge and that it's "better" to use the above method.

--
monique