Re: Need help, dual NICs, don't know whether this /etc/network/interfaces file is correct

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:39:34AM +0000, Joseph Jones said
> Could someone just check over this for me please? I'm having no end of
> trouble trying to get my nforce's onboard interface working.
>
> If this isn't the problem, could someone suggest what is? The forcedeth
> patch installed cleanly, and appears to be trying to work.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Joe.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces follows:
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation
> # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 192.168.8.21
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	network 192.168.8.0
> 	broadcast 192.168.8.255
> 	gateway 192.168.8.1
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> 	address 192.168.8.33
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	network 192.168.8.0
> 	broadcast 192.168.8.255
> 	gateway 192.168.8.1

From the rest of the thread, it seems you're having hardware support
problems, but your interfaces file is also setup incorrectly.  Why are
you trying to put both interfaces on the same network?  They can't both
be your default route (have gateway lines).  If you do get both working
with your kernel, you'll have to remove one of the "auto" lines from
your config, since you can't bring these both up at the same time.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      Blowpipe Ron Brown HAMASMOIS EuroFed Qaddafi ISEC Mossad