Re: Soundcard probs and total novice - update - and only a minor problem now

Hello

Steve Hargreaves (<Steve@hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk>) wrote:

> OK - thanks to those who replied - you gave me some clues, and now
> I've got the soundcard working using OSS ensuring that the correct
> modules are used.
>
> Now the minor problem. I use an S99local file to insmod required
> modules (don't go suggesting that I compile my own kernel - last time
> I tried that I nearly trashed my system), which at the moment looks
> like this:-
>
> insmod usb-ohci
> insmod ac97
> insmod ac97_codec
> insmod ac97_plugin_wm97xx
> insmod sound
> insmod i810_audio
> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
> However - sound and i810_audio don't get inserted. If I open a console
> and do it manually after boot then there's no problem, and the sound
> works wonderfully after re-starting X (restarting the sound server
> doesn't do it).

First, don't use insmod, use modprobe. Modprobe will load needed modules
ausotmatically. That means for example that you only have to modprobe
i810_audio, the ac97 modules should be loaded because of denendencies.
Take a look at /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep. Next, don't load
modules in your own scripts, it is not necessary. Debian already has a
script that does this for you:

etc/rcS.d/S20modutils -> ../init.d/modutils

It will load modules listed in /etc/modules. So for you it should
probably be sufficient to add the following lines to /etc/modules:

usb-ohci
i810_audio

Alternatively, you can add the following line to /etc/modutils/aliases:

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio

and run update-modules to save the changes to /etc/modules.conf. This
will load the module when the sound device is accessed.

And if you want to start XFree automatically, you can install some login
manager like kdm (from KDE), gdm (from Gnome), wdm or xdm. They will
start automatically at boot time, and at least kdm allows you also to
configure automatic logins, if you want to use that. You should /not/
load startx from an initscript the way you do, because that starts
XFree as root. You should start XFree from your user account.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen