Re: Soundcard probs and total novice - update - and only a minor problem now

On Friday 06 February 2004 2:29 pm, Sam Halliday wrote:

Thanks for the reply (and Adam, who gave similar advice).

> > /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
> hmm... are you running your system as the root user all the time? if so,
> SERIOUSLY consider installing a user for yourself and set up a graphical
> login, such as gdm.

Ahem - no - well, ATM, pretty much, but that's only while I get the system
running properly. I use kde which brings up a login window - and I already
have a user account set up.

> should do the trick. i'm even confident you don't need a lot of those
> module in the file. probably usb-ohci and ac97 will be enough... the
> bootscripts will calculate the dependencies for you. is "sound" even a
> module? i thought it was "soundcore"
>
> hope that helps!

Well, I seem to have both, and from the list I presented, if I leave anything
out - the soundcard doesn't work. Go figure :o/

> (i take it you are using OSS now as opposed to ALSA?)

Oh - yep - perhaps I should uninstall ALSA now - thanks for reminding me :o)

OK - I'll try a reboot and see how things work that way, now.

Steve