Re: Soundcard probs and total novice - update - and only a minor problem now

Steve Hargreaves wrote:
> Now the minor problem. I use an S99local file to insmod required modules

no need to do that... just add the modules you want to load into the file
"/etc/modules" (no need for the insmod command) and the debian bootscripts will
load them and their dependencies automagically.

> insmod usb-ohci
> insmod ac97
> insmod ac97_codec
> insmod ac97_plugin_wm97xx
> insmod sound
> insmod i810_audio

by the way, `man modprobe` is better than insmod.

> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

hmm... are you running your system as the root user all the time? if so,
SERIOUSLY consider installing a user for yourself and set up a graphical login,
such as gdm.

  apt-get install gdm

should do the trick (you may need to satisfy dependencies... so use aptitude)

> However - sound and i810_audio don't get inserted. If I open a console and do
> it manually after boot then there's no problem, and the sound works
> wonderfully after re-starting X (restarting the sound server doesn't do it).
>
> Any idea why these modules are still left out?

probably because their dependencies are not being met as you are using insmod.
as i said...

cat >> /etc/modules << "EOF"
usb-ohci
ac97
ac97_codec
ac97_plugin_wm97xx
sound
i810_audio
EOF

should do the trick. i'm even confident you don't need a lot of those module in
the file. probably usb-ohci and ac97 will be enough... the bootscripts will
calculate the dependencies for you. is "sound" even a module? i thought it was
"soundcore"

hope that helps!

(i take it you are using OSS now as opposed to ALSA?)

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts