Re: -DLINUX=22 and -lperl

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:07:29PM -0500, David Clymer said
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 15:01, Robert Cates wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem compiling mod_perl-1.29 as a DSO for Apache
> > 1.3.29...
> > It all starts ok, but then bombs out with the following error:
> >
> > perl/5.6.1/CORE -lperl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [libperl.so] Error 1
> >
> > What exactly is -lperl , and what do I need to do to get it?  Or
> > should I ask - what do I need to do to correct list problem?
>
> -lperl is an option being passed to gcc. the -l<libraryname> signifies
> that you want to link against a given library. Usually the library is
> located in /usr/lib. I'm guessing you just need to make sure you have
> libperl5.x or an appropriate version of libperl installed.
>
> apt-get install libperl5.8

You need libperl-dev.

Generally, -lFOO means "link in libFOO.so", where libFOO.so is (always?)
a symlink in the libfoo-dev package which points to a lib of the form
libfoo.so.1.2 from the libfoo1 package.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:          bemd defense information warfare TWA armed overthrow