Re: Soundcard probs and total novice

Steve wrote:
> I have an onboard soundcard that should conform to the ac97 module. I
> can insmod ac97, and the associated modules. Soundcore is also
> installed - but /dev/dsp is still not available (either doesn't exist
> or permission denied - it tends to vary).
>
> What the hell do I need to do to get the souncard working?

this might not be what you mean... but have you tried running alsamixer
yet? the sound levels default to zero and you need to unmute everything
(`m` button i think).

from the sounds of things you are still trying to send sounds to
/dev/dsp... what are you using to play sounds? what program is
outputting the error? try using the alsa plugin for xmms to see if it
outputs anything.

also, you say you can `insmod ac97`; is that the oss driver or the alsa
one? if the former, then remove it and load the alsa module instead!
they are totally incompatible... if you intent to use alsa, then remove
all the OSS kernel stuff (apart from the compatibility layer if you want
it). make sure you remove that entry from /etc/modules if that is the
case (or just don't compile it if you build your own kernel)

i take it you have gone through the debian configure options for alsa.
if so, you should have a file like /etc/alsa/modutils/1.0; if sound is
still not working, try posting that file on the list, it should only be
a few lines long.

cheers,
Sam
--