Kernel upgrade breaks PCMCIA

I have a fully-working Debian install on my laptop 8-) but every time I (or rather, the beautiful apt-get) upgrades the kernel, pcmcia card services break. Thus breaking the PC card network interface, thus breaking my connection to the Internet. Thus generally pissing me off :-(

I have booted back using my old kernel and it works again. However, I can't install the new version of pcmcia as it depends on the kernel version. A bit of a catch 22!

I can't believe I'm alone in hitting this problem, but my Googling has so far been fruitless. Any suggestions as to how to fix this (preferably so that it won't break when I next upgrade my kernel)? RTFM-style answers are welcome if accompanied by a relevant URL ;-)

Cheers,

Jon