Re: Kernel 2.6: swap file or partition?

M --

...and then M. Kirchhoff said...
%
% Under the 2.6.x kernel, is it advisable to just create a swap file (via dd)
% rather than using an actual partition, perhaps with swapd to keep things safe?

In general a swap partition is ever so slightly more efficient than a
swap file because one needn't go through the file system drivers (for the
inode map), but the difference is probably pretty negligible on modern
disks.

The bigger impact, though, is that in a swap slice you be sure of where
the swap data will go and a swap file, while I believe generally not
fragmented, will go wherever there is room.

I go with a swap slice whenever I am able.

%
% --M. Kirchhoff

HTH & HAND

:-D