Re: automating apt-get

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:05:48AM -0800, Deryk Barker wrote:
> I think I'm on the verge of persuading our technical people that we
> should be using debian in our labs rather than RH.
>
> One thing that would tip the scales is if it were possible to
> *completely* automate the upgrade process.
>
> For instance: our techies would do an update followed by an upgrade on
> a central/test machine to ensure everything was OK. They would then
> like to be able to run the same commands on several dozen lab machine
> *without* any manual intervention (e.g. not having to answer those
> questions about  opackage configuration etc).
>
> Is this feasible/easy? Is there a better way of mirroring a debian
> system to many others?
>
> All feedback gratefully received.

It may not be exactly what you want but one way to do it is to
configure a local repository (mirror) of the packages installed on all
machines (I think there is an apt-proxie or something of the sort that
can do it).
When you are satisfied with the new package you can put it into the
local mirror.
Then setup apt on local computers to only use the local repository and
set up a daily cron job that will run apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade (you will probably need to do yes | apt-get upgrade).
Thus when the maintainer decides to update a package s/he can just put
it in the repository and it will be updated over the next day.

You can also get the list of packages installed on one machine and get
them installed on another using dpkg --(get|set)-selections and dselect
upgrade.