evolution in testing or not ?

[Warning, complete and utter Debian newbie alert]

The package search at debian.org doesn't list evolution as being
available for testing (only 1.0.5 in stable and 1.4.5-3 in unstable),
but I seem to be able to happily
  apt-get install evolution
on my testing box (which grabs the 1.0.5 version).
Unfortunately it isn't usable (depending on whether I run it in a
vncserver or via ssh+X11-forwarding, various components seem to crash
independently; the machine is headless so I haven't tried the console).

What's going on here... does apt fall back to stable for packages that
aren't available for testing ?  (Should this generally work ?  Should I
file a bug report ?)

What's the best thing to do about it ?  Wait for 1.4 to propagate down
from unstable ?

Thanks for any advice
Tim