copy knoppix sound card config to debian install

Hi debian gurus,

My first post to the list, so go easy on me. I am still a debian newbie. (and
apologies if this message appears twice, I posted in yesterday, but I havent
seen it arrive.)

I have installed debian, and I am struggling to get my sound card working.
lspci tells me I have a...

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

So I have been struggling with kernel rebuilds to get this sound module
loaded okay.

I have just run a cd-image of knoppix and it detected/ installed the
modules beautifully. (knoppix looks cool to me) and I had sound playing
straight away.

My question is: How do I copy the Knoppix configuration across to the
debian install? Is it possible to extract the .config from knoppix and
rebuild my kernel using that?

cheers,

david.

ps. debian kernel: 2.6.0 & knoppix kernel: 2.4.22 (I think)