Re: Mapping stanzas in interfaces file not working

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 10:04, Adam Aube wrote:

> One thought - what if ifup stops parsing the script line after the first
> space? Try putting the path to the script and its arguments in quotes
> in /etc/network/interfaces. If that doesn't work, try altering the script
> so that, given no arguments other than the interface name, it acts as
> though -l -q were given as arguments.

This occurred to me, as well, after I saw the output of ifup -v, and it
turns out that it was actually part of the problem--just not the entire
problem.  You can only put a path name in the script line of a mapping
section.  It also turns out that what ifup/ifdown want the script to
return is the logical interface name, not one of the keys listed on your
map lines.

I guess the idea is that your script should be programmed to know what
the map keys are (eg WORK, HOME, 192.168.1/24, etc) but not necessarily
what the logical interface names are; that's why the map lines are fed
to the script's stdin.

My setup is working now that my mapping script outputs logical interface
names.  The documentation probably should be updated to clarify the
script output logistics and the syntax of the "script" statement.  I'll
file a bug when I get a chance.

--
Chris Eisley <chris@cepheus.net>