Re: Apache won't start

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:14:52AM +0530 or thereabouts, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> >	Starting web server: apacheSyntax error on line 313 of
> >	/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> >	Invalid command 'barnyard.sweetpig.dyndns.org', perhaps
> >	mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
> >	configuration
> >	failed
> >
> >Now the output of hostname is 'barnyard' and it's a legit address.
> >
> >Any suggestions to fix this? I have tried simply 'sweetpig.dyndns.org',
> >but that ain't working either.
> >
> Doesnt seem to be an address related error - rather a syntax error. Mind
>  sending us the contents of line 313 instead? Is this the ServerName
> directive which is causing a problem?

Hi Sandip,

I included the relevant lines including line 313 in my followup to
another poster.

I believe it's a ServerName directive issue, according to the error
message. The strange thing, is that prior to this, I had exactly the
same configuration working on Sarge. I downgraded to Woody, this past
weekend (clean install), now the same configuration will not work.

H'm, one of those moments... Some background.

When I was installing Woody, I inadvertently entered the wrong hostname.
I can't recall specifically, but I'm rather sure that at first bootup
after the install, Apache was running. When I noticed the error in my
hostname (Exim wouldn't work, drew my attention to it), I adjusted it to
the correct hostname (barnyard.sweetpig.dyndns.org), Apache wouldn't
restart. The readout of my hostname, is now correct.

Perhaps I've missed a configuration file somewhere, and Apache is
reading that?