Re: Worrying message at boot re. mount error

Hello

Anthony Campbell (<ac@acampbell.org.uk>) wrote:

> I've noticed a worrying message at boot. It comes just after
> "Cleaning /tmp /var/run /var/lock"
>
> and reads:
> "mount: wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on tmpfs, or
> too many mounted filesystems"
>
> In spite of this, everything seems to work as it should and
> /var/log/boot does not show the same error message. Something
> misconfigured I suppose but I can't think where. Anyone know what it
> refers to or what needs to be done for it?

It means that tmpfs cannot be mounted. Usually the mount point is
/dev/shm. Check if the direcotry /dev/shm is there and if the line in
your fstab is correct:

tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0

Also make sure that your kernel has tmpfs support. Or comment out the
line in your fstab.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--