Re: Screen fonts in X

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nano Nano wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:27:07PM -0800, G. Crimp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	Just installed Debian 3.0 r.0 from CD (No internet connection, I
> > know 3.0 is at r2).  Fonts are very fuzzy.  Title bars are unreadable,
> > text in a terminal window is, but not for very long, menus can be used
> > too, but very hard on the eyes.
> >
> > 	I've looked in the archives.  I'm forced to do my searches on time
> > limited public terminals at the moment, so what I've found so far comes
> > from threads in May 2003 principally:
>
> http://egads.ertius.org/~rob/font_guide.txt
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200310/thrd5.html#03827
>
> Haven't read your specific questions, but just do what the guide says.

Read the font guide.  Keep in mind that my internet connectivity is
limited.  If it ain't on my CD, it is a time consuming to acquire a
package.

I have, however, improved my CD situation.  I now have the first three
CD's of 3.0 r2.  Didn't help me with the font guide you referred me to.  I
don't really need to have TrueType fonts on my system.  X has already
worked marvellously for me without them.  Thought I'd try anyway thought,
except that I can only find Japanese and Korean TrueType fonts packages on
my CDs, (specifically, I don't have the bitstream package mentioned in the
guide) so I am no farther ahead.  Plus, fontconfig  is not part of
stable.

Can't I just get some readable X fonts using Deb 3.0 without TrueType
fonts and all the font config stuff.  I can't imagine that the X redesign
in v4 was so drastic as to remove this basic ability.  If I absolutely
must get the bitstream fonts and the fontconfig package from testing to
make my
screen readable, so be it.  But given my Inet access woes, and the fact I
have already spent a week getting connected whereever to try and find docs
and packages to work this out, I'm still hoping someone can tell me how I
can go home and get some easily readable menus, widget labels, and window
content with what I have already.

Is this maybe and anti-aliasing issue ?  Can I shut that off somewhere
(anything I've read so far about turning off AA was specific to software
that doesn't concern me)

Thanks again.

G. Crimp