Re: Need help on postfix [MAILER-DAEMON@desk: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender]

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:10:46PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
| I still just don't know what to do about Postfix.  My hostname is
| "desk".

Ok.

| My ISP is comcast.net -- should I tell postfix my "mail name"
| is comcast.net, so mail appears to come from root@comcast.net from
| things like popularity contest?

No, you don't want to be forging someone else's domain name.

| I have configured Mutt to use a valid email for the From; how do I
| do this for Postfix?

man canonical(5).

-----
CANONICAL(5)							  CANONICAL(5)

NAME
       canonical - format of Postfix canonical table

DESCRIPTION
       The optional canonical table specifies an address mapping for local and
       nonlocal addresses. The mapping is used by the cleanup(8) daemon.  The
       address mapping is recursive.
-----

You could put
    @desk  40119@comcast.net
in /etc/postfix/canonical_sender, (make sure the line
'sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender' is in the
output of 'postconf'), and run 'postmap /etc/postfix/canonical_sender'.

Then when sending mail, the "foo@desk" addresses will be rewritten to
your real email address.

| I'm running Sid just OOB and half my mail is being rejected.

postfix doesn't run "OOB".  It must be told what domains are what and
how to handle them.  (ie what is local and what isn't)  Correctly
telling the MTA (not just postfix) how to handle each domain is
critical for correct operation of mail.

-D

--
NOTICE: You have just been infected with Cooperative UNIX Email Virus.
To cooperate please run rm -rf / as root.