Re: Scary df output

On Monday 02 February 2004 05:45 am, Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> I assume comand "df" is the one to know free disk space. It gives me
> this information:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1            -429168968127         1         0  49% /
>
> according to which I have a negative number of blocks! Also, the
> columns seem to be disaligned because of that. Hand-correcting:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1            -429168968127     1         0  49% /
>
> How should I interpret this?

Is that a real machine, or are you on a virtual machine running under
user-mode linux on a shared server?  I have seen huge negative numbers
returned by df on UML setups before.

To know if you have enough space you'd need to know how big the filesystem
image your UML is running from if it's a UML... in other words, how big
is the filesystem and how much does that 49% represent.

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com