Re: Screen fonts in X

On Saturday 31 January 2004 07:01 pm, G. Crimp wrote:
> Secondary question.  In more than one place I have read that in v4 of
> X, font serving is integrated, so a font server is not necessary unless
> one wishes to make fonts available off thte workstation.

Correct.

> Anyone know why x-window-system seems to depend on xfs, in that case ?
> I tried to uninstall xfs in my attempts to solve my font pb.

I don't know why the dependency still exists, but I just used update-rc.d
to remove all the symlinks so it won't start. Remember to comment out the
line referring to xfs (local font server) in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -
otherwise X will take a while to start (tries to connect and waits until
it times out).

Adam