Re: Mobo with fan controls

Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601 <at> care2.com> writes:

> I am looking for a mobo that has controls on for all its fans so they
> can be turned off or down when not needed, like the laptops do.

You'd be better off with a separate fan-control system. Something like the
following:
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/nxp301.html

I've actually been putting together a "quiet" system myself, so let me add a few
other things.

1. Get a passively cooled video card. These are hard to find off the shelf now,
as most of the newer cards get really hot and thus have HSFs.  You can, however,
replace the HSFs with rather intricate passive cooling systems.

2. Get quiet hard drives, like the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 line.

3. The power supply is often overlooked, even though they are often one of the
noisiest components. I've found Zalman and Enermax to be a reliable producer of
quiet PS's. Mine is the Enermax EG36P-VE(FMA).

4. Get a mobo that has a passively cooled North Bridge. Many of the newer boards
come with HSFs instead of just a heat sink, which adds to the noise.

5. Don't overclock! The proc fan is *the* screamer on most systems. Keep it at
the rated frequency and use a massive heatsink and a low-rpm fan.

6. Get yourself a solid case. Lian-Li makes some of the best. Mine is quite
nice, a "quiet" model with a closing front door that hides my ugly, mismatched
bay drives: http://store.yahoo.com/directron/pc6070.html

Good luck!
--M. Kirchhoff