Re: New Kernel Hangs on Init: Version 2.84 Booting

On Thursday 29 January 2004 10:45 pm, Damian wrote:
> I've successfully downloaded and installed Debian Woody, yeah!  However
> after installation I needed to rebuild the kernel to support my sound
> card (Soundblaster Live! 5.1).  I also have a 200 gb IDE HDD and read
> that I needed to use the 2.4 kernel to support the lba48 addressing
> that the drive needs to use.  At the moment the drive only shows up as
> 137gb.

Your hard drive has likely been partitioned as if it were 137 GB.
Installing a new kernel won't fix that - you'll have to repartition your
drive, which means a complete reinstall.

I think you need to reinstall Woody and select the bf24 kernel at
installation time. This will detect your large hard drive correctly,
allowing you to partition it correctly.

Adam