New Kernel Hangs on Init: Version 2.84 Booting

Hello world.

For the record this is my first post.

I've successfully downloaded and installed Debian Woody, yeah! However after installation I needed to rebuild the kernel to support my sound card (Soundblaster Live! 5.1). I also have a 200 gb IDE HDD and read that I needed to use the 2.4 kernel to support the lba48 addressing that the drive needs to use. At the moment the drive only shows up as 137gb.

So I used apt-get to retrieve the kernel sources from debian's ftp servers (kernel-source-2.4.24) and I followed some instructions (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html) to get everything running. I spent 4 hours reading all the help information in xconfig and trying to make sense out of it. I picked what seemed like the right choices (I know, I'm a newbie) and rebuilt. Then I installed the kernel and rebooted. As the system came up it hung on

Init: Version 2.84 Booting

I did a bunch of googling and I saw that one solution would be to copy the config that I was using (for the default Debian Woody kernel 2.2.20-idepci) and run

make oldconfig

in the /usr/src/linux directory. It asked me a bunch of questions to which I answered the default choices. I removed my first, non-functional kernel and then rebuilt and installed the new kernel based on the default config. I rebooted, and this time saw

cram_fs: wrong magic
Init: Version 2.84 Booting

and it hung again. I tried again and made sure to include IDE support built straight into the kernel. More of the same. I'm sure I'm missing something fairly simple which is why, despite 3 days of searching, I can't find much help. So I reach out to the world for help...

I'd be more than glad to post any config files that you all would need to help me through this. I'm a newb so go easy on me. And thank you.

Peace
-=Damian=-