Re: disregard post re: sound!

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:59:58PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-01-29, Kirk Strauser penned:
> >   1) The old-style /dev/dsp only allows one process to use it at a
> >   time.  You couldn't listens to MP3s and still get audio alerts from
> >   other programs at the same time.
>
> See, I thought I remembered that, but without arts or esd running, I was
> able to play an mp3 on xmms while playing a cd on grip.  I heard both
> songs coming through the speakers.

Playing CDs is a special case. The audio goes direct from the CD drive to
the sound card via a dedicated cable, and /dev/dsp is not involved. So you
can play a CD, and any app that wants to use /dev/dsp will find it unused,
and you will hear both noises at once, unless you mute one of them with your
mixer.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons