Re: BIND DNS

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:54:39 -0800
"Brian C" <brianwcNOSPAM@rurnt.com> wrote:

> I have a single machine running BIND and Apache. I've never used
> either before. I've just upgraded this box from stable to testing. I
> have never been able to get the web site to show up using its domain
> name. I can type my static IP address into a web browser and it will
> show up, and I just noticed tonight that I can type in
> nameofmachine.domainname.org and the web site will show up. BUT, if I
> just type www.domainname.org or domainname.org then I get NOTHING.

Do you have CNAME's for www.domainname.org and domainname.org in your
forward zone file?

> Is it not possible for one and the same machine to be the primary DNS
> server of the website it hopes to serve for?

It's perfectly possible.

> Is this a problem with my domain name registrar? (I've been to their
> site and told them my primary dns is nameofmachine.domainname.org and
> I picked some free service to be the secondary dns. This was all
> months ago.)

No, it's a problem with your BIND configuration.

> Anyone have suggestions? I'm uncertain which config files would be
> helpful and wonder how smart it is to post such files, containing my
> IP address, to a big archived list like this. Thanks for any guidance.
> I appreciate being CC'd.

Have you read the BIND Administrator's Manual? Do you understand the
structure of a zone file, and how CNAME's should resolve to A records?
Basically, what homework have you done? A public BIND server is not
something you should run if you don't understand it.

I'd be happy to look at your zone files and see if anything is obviously
wrong. But the phrasing of your questions implies that you're missing
out on some key concepts of how DNS and BIND work. I'd recommend reading
the DNS/BIND section in O'Reilly's TCP/IP Network Administration for a
good introduction.

--
Todd Pytel

Signature attached