Re: Debian list = spam and virus repeater/multiplexer

> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 10:31, Sebastiaan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Bojan Baros wrote:
>>
>> > Hello deb users.
>> >
>> > I got a little issue with receiving some of the mails through this
>> > list...
>> >
>> > The entire list have been subjected to the inflow of spam,
>> viruses,
>> > auto-responders finding virus or spam, clueless users or someone
>> who
>> > just wants to mess around with the list.
>> >
>> > Why isn't there a limitation that will only allow the mails to be
>> > forwarded to the list if the originating email is subscribed to
>> the
>> > list?  Yes, I know, email address can be forged, not a complete
>> > solution, yada yada yada, but it would stop at least some of the
>> junk
>> > coming through.  Another option could be moderating the off-list
>> > emails.
>> >
>> > Obviously, there might be some good reasons for this behavior that
>> > am not aware off (besides "it helps me build up my Bayes database
>> and
>> > test my av"), so please enlighten me.
>> >
>> > Bojan
>> >

>> I think there is a nice practical reason for this. The list operator
>> doesn't have time to delete every spam user from this list. The
>> operator
>> is also someone who is maintaining the list in his free time.
>>
>> Greetz,
>> Sebas
>>

> I think bojan's suggestion was intended as a possible solution that
> would NOT
> eat up a list admin's free time. I dont think that its a bad idea
> either.
>
> However, the reason that is not done may be that it would prevent
> those who
> are not subscribed to the list (due to the high traffic) from posting
> legitimate questions. It is my opinion that subscribing and
> unsubscribing (or
> signing up for the digest version of the list) is not so difficult
> that it
> would serve to prevent people from asking questions if they want help.
>
> my $(1/50)
>
> -davidc

Thank you both for responding.  Yes, David is right, there would not
be any extra work for moderators if the unauthorized messages are
simply bounced back.

David did bring a good point as well, about opportunity to ask
question without being exposed to the volume of the list, and using
gmane or some other way of reading the posts, instead of receiving
them in the email box.

That about settles it for me, unless someone has something else to add...

Bojan