RE: 8139too Module

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 08:28, Timothy Paling wrote:
> The module does not appear in modconf either, however, it does appear in
> menuconf (make menuconf) and there is a .c source file for the module in
> with the kernel source.
>
> How to compile this module therefore is my new question.

well, the easy and debian way (they are the same thing, IMHO), is to:

1. apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 kernel-package
2. cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
3. make menuconfig (then go through and pick out all the drivers you
want, including the appropriate realtek drivers)
4. make-kpkg kernel_image
5. cd ..
6. dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18*.deb

and there you are. if you selected all the appropriate drivers, you
should be set. reboot, and you will be using your newly compiled kernel

you may want to uncoment the "prompt" option in lilo.conf (then run
lilo) to ensure that you can revert to your old kernel easily if
something doesnt work.

-davidc