RE: 8139too Module

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Timothy Paling wrote:

<snip>
> > to install a kernel module, you must switch to root, then type: modprobe
> > <name of module>
> >
> > for example: modprobe 8139too
> >
> > you may need to insert the mii module as well.

<snip>
> The module does not appear in modconf either, however, it does appear in
> menuconf (make menuconf) and there is a .c source file for the module in
> with the kernel source.
>
> How to compile this module therefore is my new question.

guess you need a quick kernel compilation guide. 2 methods in your case I
guess (haven't read the whole tread, so I could be mistaken):

a) the 'dirty' method. Do the 'make menuconfig' thing and then 'make dep
&& make modules'. Then 'cp drivers/net/8139too.o
/lib/modules/2.4.XX/kernel/drivers/net/', 'depmod -a' and 'modprobe
8139too' (or just an even more dirty 'insmod drivers/net/8139too.o').
If this works, you can use modconf and other utils and stuff.

If the kernel complains, try the more official method:

b) the 'official' method. 'make clean && make menuconfig && make dep &&
make bzImage && make modules'.
Then as root install arch/i386/boot/bzImage as your kernel (cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /vmlinuz), run 'lilo' (or whatever you use to
boot), and install the modules (make modules_install) and reboot.

Consult the kernel compiling howto for more information.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)