Re: sarge

High,

On 28 Jan 2004, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot install Sarge, since when I start installing the kernel it
> stops and tells me there is an error on installing devices, I have a
> (scsi tape).  The error is documented in /target/var/log.  Which I
> cannot write to floppy and can't read at a terminal.  Can anyone tell me
> how to install the correct kernel and hence Sarge.

you can always install stable/testing first and as soon as you are able to
edit /etc/apt/sources.list, edit them to sarge and continue installing
(after a small apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade).

As an alternative you could try giving kernel boot parameters
(/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ).
Perhaps 'scsi=no' works, or use 'st=...' for configuring the scsi tape.

But I think it is better to install build your own kernel package first
(after make (menu/x)config: fakeroot make-kpkg
--revision=9:mysargekernel.1 kernel_image).

Then install the minimum testing, install your kernel package (dpkg -i
mysargekernel.1.deb) and upgrade to sarge and carry on your installation
progress.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)