Exim and virtual mail hosting

Does anyone have any good howtos on this?  I've been following the docs
from exim but I've created my local domain dbm and added it to the
local_domains directive (list of domains in /etc/local-domains;
exim_dbmbuild /etc/local-domains /etc/local-domains.dnm)

and added this to my exim.conf:

virtual:
  driver = aliasfile
  domains = dbm;/etc/local-domains
  no_more
  file = /etc/mail/$domain
  search_type = lsearch

I created a (empty) file for each local domain in /etc/mail but when it
try to send any mail i get:

Exim configuration error
  auth virtual: cannot find auth driver "aliasfile" in line 482

I presume that this is because the aliasfile property in the above
secification should either a directive or a file name.

What should the alias file directive look like?
What format should the files in /etc/mail for each domain be in?
  e.g. how do i have john@foo.bar deluver to local user john_site99

I've been wrestling with this MTA problem and it's sending me made!