Re: Email client programs

Hello Curtis,

> I don't think everyone is fully appreciating the problem.
That makes 2 of us ;)

What comes to my mind:
a. (has been mentioned) use fetchmail to download the messages. Example
   listing here:

   # fetchmail -d0 -a -f /etc/fetchmailrc
   4 messages for myname at my.provider.com (45939 octets).
   reading message myname@my.provider.com:1 of 4 (3771 octets) ... flushed
   reading message myname@my.provider.com:2 of 4 (4358 octets) .... flushed
   reading message myname@my.provider.com:3 of 4 (3989 octets) ... flushed
   reading message myname@my.provider.com:4 of 4 (33821 octets) ................................. flushed

   So yes, messages are being marked for deletion (="flushed") immediately
   after download. Since I don't have a shaky line, I cannot really test
   things like killing the line in the middle of a transfer and retry. But
   it seems to me worth a try.

b. From old messaging days I remember that sendmail (and almost certainly
   any other mail-transfer-agent) will of course retransmit the message if
   the line is broken during transmit. But this means that the vessel
   system has an ip address and messages are delivered to a local MTA
   there. Probably not the right direction.

With IMAP I have not much experience.

Cheers,
Erich