qestion about Locales

Hi,

I've installed Debian Testing/Unstable with the default Locale, and would like
to keep English as the primary language of the system.  On the other hand, I
also need to be able to use the German umlaut (äöü) characters.  In KDE I've
set the Locale to Germany with English and German as languages, and that
works as you can see in my email.  But the system itself doesn't deal with or
can't display the umlauts, for insance in directory and file names, or in the
console.  I've used dpkg-reconfigure locales to select one of the ISO DE
locales, but nothing changed in console, I can't type umlauts and they arent
displayed in existing names.  What else do I need to do, and how do I keep
English as the primary language?

Thaks,

Christof
--