alias priorities in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

The default aliases in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf:

        <alias>
                <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
                <family>Helvetica</family>
                <family>Arial</family>
                <family>Verdana</family>
[snip]
        </alias>

appear to give priority to later fonts: if both Bitstream Vera Sans and
Arial are present, Arial will be sans-serif.

If I move Bitstream Vera Sans entry *after* Arial and Verdana, then it
will be the font selected for sans-serif.

Question: is there another way to specify priority other than sequence?

I'm thinking of filing a bug against fontconfig to move Bitstream Vera
Sans to the end of the list, so it will be selected in preference of
Arial.  That would be "The Right Thing," no?