Re: 8139too Module

Hi Timothy,

* Timothy Paling <t.j.paling@warwick.ac.uk> [040128 09:39]:
> I am somewhat of a newbie to Debian and have managed to sucessfully install
> 3.0r2 on my Compaq 2104EA laptop.

Congratulations.

> I am, however, having some issues with getting my Belkin F5D5010 Ethernet
> CardBus card working. The Cardbus itself is working (I have verified this by
> looking at /var/log/syslog when inserting the card).
>
> I am aware that I need to install the 8139too module, however, I'm
> completely unsure on how to do this.

Two ways kernel modules can be installed (or inserted into the
running kernel) using the (1) "modprobe" or (2)"modconf" commands.

(1)
% modprobe 8139too

You can make sure that the 8139too module is installed each time you
boot by adding the the string "8139too" to the file /etc/modules. Just
open up /etc/modules in your favourite editor, or type the following
on the command line

% echo "8139too" >> /etc/modules

(2)
% modconf

and then navigate through the menus to find 8139too (should be in
kernel/drivers/net). If you use this method to install a module,
modconf will automatically append it to /etc/modules, to ensure it is
loaded each time you boot.

> Anyhelp or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.1-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux