Re: OT - nForce, GeForce and VMWare

I'm finally giving VMWare a whirl, and am hoping someone here can help.

VMWare installed okay, and I was able to set up a virtual machine with
Windows-98SE.  However, I am unable to get sound working, and am also
having some video issues.

My motherboard uses the nForce-2 chipset, with onboard sound.  I was
able to get the nForce Linux drivers up and running, and have sound
outside of VMWare...   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As for video, I am currently using the driver that comes with VMWare,
VMWare SVGA-2...
>>Like with the nForce drivers, the nVidia drivers for Linux are working fine...
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are you trying to do?

I thought I made it pretty clear to anyone who does more than just a real fast scan through messages what I'm trying to do... I'm trying to get various nVidia features working on a Windows-98SE _virtual machine_ using VMWare on a Linux system.

It sounds like you might be better off installing Windows XP, or maybe, just maybe
installing Debian since this is a Debian mailing list.

Where in my post did I say I wasn't running Linux? I thought the couple times I state that I got the various *** nVidia Drivers For Linux *** up and running made it fairly clear that I _am_ running Linux; Debian Sid via Knoppix, to be exact; otherwise I would not be subscribed to this Debian mailing list. And BTW, how could anyone ever be better off running that POS OS called XP?

Also Direct 3d is a Windows only graphics layer, Whats wrong with using Nvidia
Linux drivers, and OpenGL, do some research, a lot of people have gotten their Nvidia Chipsets
to work in Linux.

That was not what I was trying to do. As I already said, I have my hardware working just fine with nVidia's Linux drivers. What I was attempting to do was get the 3D features working in a VMWare environment. That is:

Running Windows-98SE as a guest operating system in a VIRTUAL MACHINE on a Linux system. You do understand what VMWare and virtual machines are, don't you?

And as mentioned elsewhere in this same thread, I already got the sound working on the virtual machine, but it looks like the 3D stuff will not be happening any time soon.

-- Scarletdown