authenticating windoze clients

Hi all,
Other than using Samba, what are the other preferred modern methods of
authenticating windoze clients on linux servers.

I'm working on migrating Netware 3.2 users and services to linux and need
basic authentication (user, group, password etc) and controlled access to
shared network resources from windoze clients.

What I have in mind is using NIS or LDAP for authentication and NFS for
network shares but the problem is obtaining free/cheap client software.

Please enlighten based on your experiences.

--
Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya