Re: can't shut down

Hello:

under Gnome,
you have first to `log out':

action > log out

then a PopUp must appear to ask confirmation.

Next, your box must be controled by `gdm' which can be configured with a shutdown option (see the corresping documentation).

Anyhow,
shutdown from a console:

CTRL+ATL+F1 (or F2 F3 F4 F5 F6)
log as root
launch

shutdown -d now

Note that you can shutdown your box properly through the power button
if your box supports ACPI.

hth,
Jerome

Douglas Pollard wrote:
I'm a newby to debian linux and feeling pretty dumb. I have managed to partition my hard drive and install Debian but I can't figure out how to get into root in order to shut down my machine. If I am in Gnome how do I close Debian-linux down. If someone would walk me through from Gnome I would be thankful. At the present time I am shuting down with th off button on the front of my machine.
                                                Doug