Re: can't shut down

Hi,
* Douglas Pollard wrote on 27.01.2003 (09:25):
                                 ^^^^ Do I live in the
                                      future? ;)

> I'm a newby to debian linux and feeling pretty dumb. I have managed to
> partition my hard drive and install Debian but I can't figure out how to get
> into root in order to shut down my machine. If I am in Gnome how do I close
> Debian-linux down. If someone would walk me through from Gnome
> I would be thankful. At the present time I am shuting down with th off button
> on the front of my machine.

A worse decision. I'm not a gnome fan (nor KDE or graphical
system), but I remember, there where a button in the login
manager to shutdown the system or to reboot.

The solution that will work: Open a shell. Type 'su -' and
your root user's password. If you have done this you can
shutdown your machine by typing halt or shotdown now. First
one is slightly faster (typed) so I'm using this.

HTH, even if I don't know the exact gnome way of shutting
down,
-sa

--
sa at programmers-world dot com http://www.livingit.de; Uhrzeit: 16:15