[OT] DVD-ROM hardware question

I know that this question is a bit OT for this list but here goes.

This past weekend I pulled the DVD-ROM drive from my old computer
(Pentium Pro 200, now a headless fw/router/server under my desk)
and placed it in my new desktop.  I had some trouble getting it
to work, but eventually tracked it down to the cable (using the
ca. 1997 IDE cable, instead of a modern 80-wire).  So I finally
got it setup like this:

hda -> WDC 120 GB HDD
hdb -> empty
hdc -> CD-RW
hdd -> DVD-ROM

Without realizing that it would cause problems, I used the older IDE
cable on hda, since it was solo an that IDE controller.  I later
figured out that the cable was the problem after playing Neverwinter
Nights and seeing very long load/save times lead me to check out hda
with hdparm.  I found that it was stuck at udma2 (but the drive
supports udma5).  During this time my son managed to watch a movie
without a problem.  It also bears mentioning that at some point I had
trouble getting the connector to fit, and upon inspection noticed that
pins 1 and 2 were bent.  I carefully bent them back into place with a
flathead screwdriver.

Anyhow, I removed the DVD-ROM drive, returned the 80-wire cable to hda
and had this setup:

hda -> WDC 120 GB HDD
hdb -> empty
hdc -> CD-RW
hdd -> empty

This morning I got another 80-wire cable and setup my system like this:

hda -> WDC 120 GB HDD
hdb -> CD-RW
hdc -> DVD-ROM
hdd -> empty

The problem is that now the DVD-ROM drive only recognizes CDs.  I have
tried it in hdb, hdc, and hdd, with the same results each time.  I can
mount and access CDs with no problem.  If I place a DVD in tho drive,
the drive spins up and down intermettently.  If I try to access the
dvd, either by mounting, running hdparm, or trying to play it in xine
ar mplayer, the app hangs for about a minute, and then consumes 100%
CPU until I reboot.  I have tried adjusting every setting with hdparm,
including 16/32-bit IO, DMA, and so on.

Googling has been fruitless, yeilding only hits on how to repair a
windows install by booting from a DVD drive (search terms: dvd-rom
drive repair).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Roberto