Re: iptables generates unwanted output

Ryan Mackay wrote:
Sometime near Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:40:49AM +0100, Joris Huizer wrote:

Hello,

I recently set up iptables (that is, I replaced /etc/init.d/iptables with the script I got).

Now, when I'm on one of the tty' terminals, I get this message each time:

INPUT packet died: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=10.0.0.150 DST=10.0.0.255 LEN=131 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=631 DPT=631 LEN=111

it looks like a lot of packages with identical properties, are sent to my computer; Maybe it's important to know, my internet connection is dhcp and it uses dynamic IP addressing (could that cause such a problem?)

So basically, I've got two questions,
What could be causing this?
How can I make iptables stop generating output on the tty - and let it write in some kind of logfile instead?

Hi,

Yes, this _feature_ can be INCREDIBLEY annoying for a machine that you
also have to work on aswell :P.

To stop it add this to /etc/init.d/klogd

KLOGD="-c 4"

It sets the verbosity level so to speak so those evil packet logs go to
the disk where they should be.

(PS: run `/etc/init.d/klogd restart` afterwards :P)

Thank you that solved the problem :-)
I'm wondering - how is writing on the tty a *feature* ?

Thanks again,

Joris